Thursday, February 25, 2010

When the light isn't in your favor


Freshman Britany Calley performs balance beam during the Falcons home tri-meet against Southeast Missouri State and Seattle-Pacific in the Cadet Gym February 20. Air Force placed second in the team competition with a score of 188.00. Southeast Missouri came in first with 194.05 and Seattle Pacific finished with 187.075.

What do you do when the light is against you? There are many situations which I find irritating as a photographer but crappy lighting is probably my least favorite situation to find myself in. Now some people would say that they don't mind bad lighting because they can creating their own lighting with strobes, and I don't really have a problem with that argument. Except in a few cases. This is one of them. I have a love hate relationship with Gymnastics at the Academy because of where they compete; the cadet gym, which is one of the worst lit locations I have every photographed in. To make this situation more difficult I can't light gymnastics in any way out of concern for the athletes safety (which is a totally legitimate concern, and I would not want to put any of our athletes in a position where they could become injured because of me). I wish though that the lighting were better for a sport that lends itself so well to great pictures. I'm not sure how to keep the quality of the image while overcoming the lighting issues. How do you handle tough lighting situations where strobes are not an option? (All photos copyright US Air Force Academy, J. Rachel Spencer 2010)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In fact when someone doesn't understand afterward its up to other visitors that they will assist, so here it occurs.

Review my webpage; ideal waist to hip ratio