Sunday, August 12, 2007

Scotland

I've been in Scotland for the past five weeks and I cannot even begin to describe what the expierence has been. This is an amazing country which continually stuns me with how beautiful it is, and the people are willing to let you into their lives like no one else I've ever encountered. I've been living in Edinburgh and most of my time has been spent in and around the city although I have had a chance to travel to several other parts of the country including St. Andrews, Inverness, North Berwick, Pittenweem, Dundee, and Dunbar.

The Fringe Festival is going on in Edinburgh right now which is advertized as the largest arts festival in Europe and it lives up to the hype with around 50 street performers daily, many shops and hundreds of shows going on, not to mention the thousands of people who've come into the city over the past two weeks to see it and Edinburgh's Military Tattoo.



Edinburgh from Carlton Hill at sunset



Amelia and Francisco are street performers from Seville, Spain who are in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival. I have had such a great time talking with Amelia about the fringe and being a street performer.




Elaine Davidson is the world record holder for body piercing and is from Edinburgh. She doesn't like photographers that much which I couldn't understand at first but another one of the photographers who is here in the same program I am talked to her and she doesn't like photographers because she feels like they use her, just taking her picture and then not giving her any money. Many people watch the performances of the street performers and then dont give them any money, not realizing this is how they make all their money



Linlithgow retreat




Edinburgh Military Tattoo


Linlithgow Castle and loch

No comments: