Saturday, February 14, 2009

Caring For Aggie


Caring For Aggie from J. Rachel Spencer on Vimeo.

This was my first attempt at video fall quarter for my final photo class at Ohio University. I was introduced to Aggie after talking with The Appalachian Community Visiting Nurses Association about doing a project with them. I was interested in showing the relationships the nurses have with their clients and asked if they had anyone in mind who would be good for a video piece. They told me about Aggie. She lives in Albany, Ohio with two of her sisters, and although she has almost lost all mobility she's still just as sharp as she ever was. Before I even met her, Milena, my friend at the ACVNA described visiting her house as going to see the Golden Girls, and she was right. She and her sisters would banter back and forth giving each other a hard time every chance they got. It was a pleasure to get to document a little piece of her life.

As far as the technical aspect goes I'm still working on video. I definitely need to use a tripod more. More to come later.

3 comments:

Alexis said...

beautiful love. Such a Rachel story as well.

Charles Paul Yesenczki said...

I've actually been trying to work with the Appalachian Nurses as well.
I think you've found a really nice open situation. It seems like Aggie's perspective is an important piece that isn't as present as the nurse speaking.

J. Rachel Spencer said...

Thanks for the input Charles. You'll really enjoy working with the Appalachian Nurses a lot. Milena works very hard to help photographers get the access they need. If you need any help with contacts on that just let me know. I agree that Aggie's perspective is important even though I wasn't working on it for this piece. I actually did a soundslides project earlier and this was just another angle on the story. For the first one I focused more on Aggie and one of her sisters who is her main caregiver and their relationship then for the video project I focused more on her nurse and that relationship. Maybe I should combine the two?